Thursday, December 6, 2018

Butterfly blog- in the thick of the chaos

Two monarchs eclosed sometime late last night. There's too much pollution from the California fires to release them today. I'm not disturbing them, they remain basically in the same shape as they emerged, but their wings have fully unfolded and dried. Later they'll want to spread them and fly away. I'll try to put it off for a while.
They're brothers of Speedy. I rarely name the creatures, Speedy acquired her name naturally as a tiny larvae making repeated trips to the top of the caterpillar habitat long before time for her to pupate. I'd tempt her back down to fresh milkweed leaves, but an hour later find her on the ceiling again.
Last week he eclosed, Not realizing it was Speedy (number 49) I took her out to Tutu's Tot Lot (my backyard) to release her. She flew straight up into the air over my head. I tracked her until I couldn't anymore. Very distinctive. Forest Peter loved hearing the story about how Speedy blasted straight up into the air like that.



No comments:

Post a Comment